Thursday, April 4, 2013

I Am So Hooked!

I just love to weave and spin - plain and simple.  Can't say I am good, make alot of mistakes each time I start a project but I don't care - I love it.

Taught myself to knit from a CD then jumped in feet first and took a class that the Athens Art Center from Jennie Bennett on making socks with a friend.  I still love knitting socks but really realized that I am a slow knitter.

But as I knitted, I realized that I did not want to knit with commerical yarns - I wanted to make yarn from fleece - from U.S. raised sheep, alpacas, & rabbits.  So I went to The Spinnery in Gatlinburg and Nancy showed me a book with the instructions to make a spindle from a cd.  She showed me how to use a spindle in the shop.  Bought the book, came home and my husband made me the spindle.

That was not enough - joined the Tennessee Handspinner's Guild in Knoxville TN and borrowed the guild spinning wheel - I was hooked.  I loved it!  Bought a used wheel from Jennie and never looked back.  Now I own 2 wheels that I have bought at the Spinnery and love them both.

I took a class from Phyllis at R&M Yarns in Cleveland, Tennessee a few years ago with a friend - just a simple table runner but I loved it. My husband made me an old fashion rug loom but that was not enough, could not do what I wanted to do on it.  Found an used Leclerc counterbalance loom on craigslist and headed to Knoxville to get it.  Then came the Baby Wolf.  Then came a Harrisville loom that my dear friends & my husband's cousins gave to me. 

The Scenic Valley Handweavers Guild was established in January at R&M Yarns.  We are learning so much!  I look so forward to the meetings.

I have a blog that is mainly devoted to quilting www.cottonpatchquilts.blogspot.com but I wanted one that was more for the Fiber Arts like weaving, spinning and needlefelting.

I hope you will join me on this part of my life's journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment